Home' Phillip Island and San Remo Advertiser : January 17th 2018 Contents PAGE 2 - THE ADVERTISER, WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 17, 2018
PHILLIP ISLAND 7 DAY WEATHER FORECAST Candowie Reservoir water level as at Jan 16 % Full 82.6%
Current Vol (ML) 3,685
Find us on
It’s been a long haul
WORK on the Jetty Triangle redevelopment
in Cowes is due to start early next month.
ACE Landcscaping Services, a department
of parent company Ace Contractors Group,
have been contracted by the Bass Coast Shire
to carry out the redevelopment, with February
5 nominated as the starting date.
Carlie Young, Project Manager, and Trevor
Ryan, both of ACE Contractors, speaking at
Wednesday’s official unveiling of the plans on
Wednesday, said that local tradesmen and
businesses would be used for the work wher-
The jetty triangle will be fenced off while
work is underway, with limited access pro-
vided to a ticket office servicing Wildlife Coast
Cruises, the French Island Ferry and PINP’s
Eco Tour boat.
The 45 jetty triangle car parking spaces and
the additional spaces that will be lost from
outside the Isle of Wight between Bass Avenue
and Thompson Avenue will be replaced at the
mooted Cowes Transit Centre, to be built at the
back of the Cowes Cultural Centre off Church
Annual ceremonies involving the Cowes
cenotaph, such as Anzac Day, will not be af-
fected, with their focus reverting back out onto
the Esplanade until the work is completed.
Carlie and Trevor said that expected comple-
tion date of the work is September, in plenty
of time for Phillip Island’s 150th birthday cel-
ebrations in November.
Ace Landscape Services – a department of
parent company Ace Contractors Group – has,
according to their website, worked on land-
scapes at Melbourne’s Royal Children’s Hos-
pital as well as Melbourne University, while a
sub-consultant has worked for Phillip Island
According to the shire, 75 per cent of sub-
contractors will be sourced locally, while 10
per cent of Ace employees live within Bass
Coast or Gippsland.
Ace Contractors Group is a supporter of the
Phillip Island Football and Netball Club.
starts in February
Trevor Ryan and Carlie Young, repre-
sentatives of the ACE Contractors Group,
the firm which is undertaking the Jetty
Triangle Redevelopment work, are pic-
tured at last week’s unveiling.
This photo shows the number of car spaces that will be lost when
the redevelopment gets underway. Car parking spaces will also be
removed from the Esplanade outside the old Isle of Wight site, from
the corner of Bass Avenue to Thompson Avenue.
The Jetty Triangle, starting in February, will be transformed into a grassy-terraced area for
community events and festivals, and a Piazza created on the Esplanade.
An artist’s impression of the Jetty Triangle redevelopment plan.
IT’S been a long haul, with the Jetty Triangle
project being voted to proceed no less than three
times in the past two years.
Redevelopment of the Jetty Triangle was identi-
fied by the community as the number one priority
during the Cowes Activity Centre Plan consulta-
tion process, which took place under the previous
council back in 2014.
The plan was adopted by that council in June
2015, which gave the Jetty Triangle project the go
ahead in December 2015.
However, it was bundled in with the establish-
ment of a Cowes Transit Centre, and the redevel-
opment of the Cowes Cultural Centre, at a com-
bined cost of $15 million plus, in a bid to attract
State and Federal government funding.
The funding application for this was unsuccess-
ful, however, and it did not go ahead.
In December 2016, the current council voted
again to proceed with the Jetty Triangle project,
resolving to go to tender for a detailed design and
construct at an estimated cost of $2.3 million, in-
clusive of $370,235 in detailed design costs, and
to be ready when government funding became
available. But nothing happened.
In June 2017, Bass Coast Council voted yet
again, for the third time in two years, to proceed
with the development. And this time it will actually
to go ahead. The Jetty Triangle and Transit Cen-
tre projects are linked, with parking at the Transit
Centre to replace the 45 spaces that will disappear
from the Jetty Triangle area.
- Third time lucky?
BASS Coast Shire Council has
responded to criticism levelled at
it last week, for announcing the
preferred vehicular ferry termi-
nal site draft business case rec-
ommendation, before the closure
date for community comment.
Bass Coast Mayor Cr Pamela
Rothfield declared last week in a
press release, following the An-
derson Street boat ramp protest,
that the yet-to -be-released ferry
draft business case identified the
Cowes Yacht Club as the preferred
site for the car ferry, and ruled out
the Anderson Street boat ramp as
the preferred location.
With the period for commu-
nity comment still open, and a
chorus of voices thus describing
the process as a sham, the Bass
Coast Shire has this week issued
the following statement, in an
effort to clarify and explain the
Here is the full clarification, is-
sued by council on Monday.
• Council agreed to lead the de-
velopment of the Business Case
in partnership with the Victorian
Government and Mornington
Peninsula Shire Council.
decision was driven by a desire
to fully explore the opportunity
to open up a world-class iconic
touring route that would benefit
Phillip Island businesses, resi-
dents and visitors. To ‘fully ex-
plore’ in this context means that
all options in the draft Business
Case are being assessed against
the social impacts, economic im-
pacts and viability, planning and
environmental impacts and re-
quirements, traffic impacts, and
• Council became acutely aware
at a public meeting on January 6
of the depth of widespread com-
munity belief and concern that
the area of the Anderson Road
Boat Ramp had been identified as
the preferred terminal location.
• At this point we had two
choices: (1) stay silent and let
community concern and unrest
about the Anderson Road Boat
Ramp area continue unabated
and for no reason, or (2) take a
risk and advise our community it
was not the preferred site, which
is certainly consistent with the
analysis in the Discussion Paper.
• Whilst we accept that some
people are critical of our decision
to comment on the preferred lo -
cation prior to the release of the
draft Business Case, the alterna-
tive of staying silent would have
caused more harm to the com-
munity and ultimately more criti-
cism of the project and council.
• The Discussion Paper was
released in November, which is
open for public comment until
January 12. In parallel, work be-
gan on the draft Business Case.
• The Business Case is due to
be presented to the council on
February 21 and will be publicly
available on February 16, when
the meeting agenda is published
on the council’s website.
• Even though the first draft
of the Business Case is still be-
ing finalised, given the parallel
process with consultation on the
Discussion Paper, the council,
as participants on the Steering
Group, were aware of the likely
preference for the Cowes Yacht
Club precinct as the site for a
potential car ferry.
• Council has no view at this
time on whether a car ferry
should proceed and has only
committed to the Business Case
process. We welcome and en-
courage our community to par-
ticipate in the engagement pro-
cess once the draft Business
Case is released.
• At this point in time, the
council has no further informa-
tion until the finished draft Busi-
ness Case is considered by the
council at the February 21 Ordi-
Council clarifies ferry release
Links Archive January 10th 2018 January 24th 2018 Navigation Previous Page Next Page