Wednesday, 18 February 2026

MotoGP to go: Island motorsport fans devastated

Victoria has lost the MotoGP, and the race will move to Adelaide from 2027, in news set to devastate local businesses and motorsport fans.

. profile image
by .
MotoGP to go: Island motorsport fans devastated
Photo: IanR Photography

Victoria has lost the MotoGP, and the race will move to Adelaide from 2027, in news set to devastate local businesses and motorsport fans.

The formal announcement is expected tomorrow.

The 2026 event is the last on Phillip Island under the current contract.

The news comes just one day after the Victorian Government announced it had agreed to contribute additional funding to create a "bigger, better" MotoGP, but that was conditional on the event remaining on Phillip Island.

In a media release on Tuesday, February 17, the government said it had ruled out a request from Dorna Sports to move the event to Albert Park.

The Minister for Tourism, Sport and Major Events Steve Dimopoulos said, “Phillip Island is the home of the Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix, and we are proud to support it”.

Shifting priorities

As the Advertiser reported in January, there has been mounting speculation from motorsports journalists around the world, that Phillip Island would lose the event, saying shifting priorities in the global MotoGP calendar – as well as rising costs and logistical challenges – were jeopardising the long-term viability of the MotoGP on Phillip Island.

Several outlets also said the lack of infrastructure upgrades to the Phillip Island circuit was a major hurdle in the negotiations, with the potential for another state to poach the event.

Despite the track being a favourite with riders, fans complained about the cost of the event, while cyclenews.com reported “organisers and local stakeholders have reportedly expressed concerns about the increasing financial burden required to host a MotoGP event, particularly as freight costs and international travel expenses continue to climb".

Online motorsport media outlets say last year’s majority takeover of MotoGP by Liberty Media – which also owns Formula 1 – had “generated widespread expectations” the MotGP will move in Formula 1’s direction and become more of a “spectacle”.

The USA-based Liberty Media completed its four billion Euros (more than $7 billion) majority stake in Dorna last July.

Dorna holds rights to 2060 to run MotoGP, currently in 22 races around the world, which they have done since 1991, as well as the Superbike World Championship.
“It's not about the love of motorcycle racing for them (Liberty); it's only about the drama,” reported rideapart.com.

Both Adelaide and Tailem Bend (near Adelaide) were touted as potential locations. Last month, The Age newspaper reported the South Australian government was in secret talks with Dorna Sports, owners of the MotoGP.

Bass Coast Shire Council said the MotoGP was worth more than $60 million to the local economy, so loss of the event will be a massive blow to local businesses.

Read More

puzzles,videos,hash-videos,digital-edition,read-island-magazine,videos